Vanessa | Neurosurgeon | Travel | Latin and ballroom dance | Yoga | Skiing | Surfing | Sydney, Australia
1) THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS? I had an epiphany that I don’t have to fit into role that another person or society expects. I will be happier and more fulfilled if I act authentically.
2) THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS?
Many trips cancelled because of covid. I realise (well, I have always known) what an elixir exploring is for me. I don’t like feeling caged (see 1).
3) YOUR BIGGEST WISH FOR THE NEAR FUTURE?
That people in the world who are vulnerable have access to a vaccine if they want one.
4) YOUR BIGGEST WORRY FOR THE NEAR FUTURE?
That nations around the world wont’t band together to work on sustainable living solutions.
5) A CONTEMPORARY WOMAN YOU CURRENTLY ADMIRE?
Turia Pitt @turiapitt. There is someone who won’t quit, whatever the adversity. I admire strength and determination.
6) A ONE-SENTENCE MESSAGE TO OTHER WOMXN?
Always be yourself, be your authentic self. Your identity is not dependent on anyone else, and to that end, never allow your world to depend on someone else, share your life, but don’t give it up.
THE WORLD HAS BEEN CHANGING DRAMATICALLY IN RECENT MONTHS: 7) HOW ARE YOU COPING?
One day at a time. I have booked little trips. I see my friends, I focus on my children and my work. I try to make the ‘everyday’ a pleasant adventure.
8) WHICH CHANGE/ EVENT HAS AFFECTED YOU THE MOST / HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON YOU PERSONALLY?
My father died when I was 7. This taught me that life is fragile and you have to grab it with both hands and not waste an opportunity.
9) WHAT ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE MOST?
Loss of nature and destruction of the planet. We must learn to live in a symbiotic way with our earth.