Rossella | Founder and CEO of We Hate Pink | Feminist | Activism | Reading | Hip hop and punk female bands | London, England
1) THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS?
Leaving a corporate job and making my side project a social enterprise. We Hate Pink is a community-based platform built to increase women's access to leadership roles in creative, media and tech. We want to redefine success and leadership for women and promote gender equality in the workplace.
2) THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS?
Face the uncertainty of managing my own business in the middle of a global pandemic.
3) YOUR BIGGEST WISH FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? Eliminate the gender gap and create a more inclusive world. We cannot wait 100 years more to achieve equality.
4) YOUR BIGGEST WORRY FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? Not be able to achieve gender equality. I had to admit: knowing something on paper is much different than experiencing it yourself or connecting to it on a deeper personal level. I have encountered this when I’ve tried to discuss feminism with men and came back exasperated that they couldn’t understand my perspective because they had never lived it themselves. So I believe it’s important to involve men in the conversation if we really want to achieve equality.
5) A CONTEMPORARY WOMXN YOU CURRENTLY ADMIRE? I like so many women but one of my favourites is the writer Bernardine Evaristo.
6) A ONE-SENTENCE MESSAGE TO OTHER WOMXN? Standing up and being counted, standing up and being different and realising that it’s not a negative to be different. That each of us is different, but so many people are afraid of being different. They’re told from such an early age, from the second they go to school, that they have to conform and I disagree with that entirely – I don’t think that’s our job as humans, to be conformist. I think our job is to be who we’re meant to be.
THE WORLD HAS BEEN CHANGING DRAMATICALLY IN RECENT MONTHS:
7) HOW ARE YOU COPING? I have to say better than I thought. During the pandemic, I start to realise what’s really important for me and the people around me.
8) WHICH CHANGE/ EVENT HAS AFFECTED YOU THE MOST / HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON YOU PERSONALLY? Brexit. When I moved to England I realised how beautiful it was being part of a progressive country. Brexit showed me a different side of this country, not the nicest one. 9) WHAT ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE MOST? The impact of the pandemic on the economy and consequently on people's lives. So many lost their job and it’s not going to be easy to go back to “normal” so quickly.