Julaire | Founder of 20/40 Women’s Exchange | Author, Blogger and Project Consultant | Hobbies: Blogging/ Writing, Travelling, Listening to Music | Montego Bay, Jamaica
Instagram: @julairehall_author and @2040womenexchange
1) THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS?
I got accepted into an Executive MBA programme with a scholarship covering majority of the programme cost. I must admit quite a lot has happened over the past 12 months. I quit a job I had for seven years as I wanted to explore my creative side. I became an author by self-publishing the following two children picture books: “An Open Letter to You, My Little Blessing” and “Girl, You Got This! Colouring & Activity Book for Girls with Affirmations”. I’m over the moon excited to be able to positively influence the next generation of women through my books and blog; empowering and inspiring girls to be confident, brave, self-aware and diligent is truly a dream come through.
2) THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS? With an overload of success comes that feeling of worth, questioning the reality and whether you are really deserving. Some call it imposter syndrome, I call it the need to stop feeling inadequate and bask in the glory of your own hard work. It took guts and the support of friends and family to remind me really that I am worthy. 3) YOUR BIGGEST WISH FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? To further support, embrace and empower women and girls globally through my blog and books. I’d love to feature women across the world on my platform who are also impacting the lives of others. I am passionate about women empowerment and supporting girls through the various stages of life. 4) YOUR BIGGEST WORRY FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? My fear is that my limitations will pose as challenges to becoming the woman I want to be. A behind the scene person, that I am, but to make the impact I hope to achieve I must be able to get out of my shell, own the stage and champion the things I strive to achieve. 5) A CONTEMPORARY WOMAN YOU CURRENTLY ADMIRE? Issae Rae - an authentic, trialblazing, kick-ass young black woman making waves in her field. 6) A ONE-SENTENCE MESSAGE TO OTHER WOMEN? Be your own heroine, and others will see in you, what you see in yourself.
A few more questions about the current situation (covid-19, lockdown, black lives matter protests, politics, finances, mental health, health, and so much more):
7) THE WORLD HAS BEEN CHANGING DRAMATICALLY IN RECENT MONTHS, HOW ARE YOU COPING?
8) WHICH CHANGE HAS AFFECTED YOU THE MOST / HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON YOU PERSONALLY?
9) WHAT ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE MOST?
Oh wow, what a great time to be alive. To see the rise of movement across the United States against racism and police brutality is tremendous. The COVID crisis which is affecting not just health but people’s livelihood and existence is another matter. The COVID-crisis has affected me the most. I’ve had to work from home since March, luckily a blessing in disguise as I got to spend more time with my daughter and supported her through her online schooling journey. But honestly, being at home you do realise you connect less with your friends and even family members.