Joanne | Electronic music artist | DJ | Event curator | Radio presenter and host | Record label owner | Chair of The JUNO Awards Underground Dance Single of the Year and founder of #23by23, a campaign to assist labels in increasing their representation of female, trans & non-binary artists | Toronto, Ontario
1) THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS?
I released an album and it got nominated for a JUNO Award. I also created a new category at The JUNOS so both of these things were huge accomplishments I was excited about.
2) THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS? Covid-19 made us go back into lockdown in Canada and I was once again, off work!
3) YOUR BIGGEST WISH FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? That my music continues to resonate with people around the world and I get to tour all over. I love touring and it's so good to be back to work!
4) YOUR BIGGEST WORRY FOR THE NEAR FUTURE? Covid comes back and puts me out of work again. I'm done with it!
5) A CONTEMPORARY WOMAN YOU CURRENTLY ADMIRE? I love Madonna. She has been my inspiration since I was young for a ton of reasons. I have always loved her hands on approach to her career. I loved the way she dominated for so many decades and always reinvented herself. The music also I have always loved because it was inspired by electronic music. The producers she has worked with also inspired me. I still always buy records by Stuart Price and William Orbital.
I also love Lady Gaga. Her vulnerability inspires me. She is unapologetically herself and I love that about her. She's another artist that clearly had to fight to be where she is but I love her. She's a queen.
6) A ONE-SENTENCE MESSAGE TO OTHER WOMEN? Work smart, not hard